This holiday season, it would be a good idea to think of one or two oral health ailments that you are at risk for and give a little bit more attention to them. One particular oral health ailment that affects all people at some point in time is halitosis. Halitosis, also known as bad breath, can arise due to the bad bacteria in your mouth that releases a foul odor. In order to help prevent bad breath from occurring, it is important to know the causes of it:
– If you are plagued with poor oral hygiene that has led to excessive plaque buildup, you will be at an increased risk for bad breath.
– A lack of saliva in your mouth also called “dry mouth”, is a condition which can drastically increase the rate at which bad breath will arise.
– Underlying conditions in your body such as kidney malfunctions, liver ailments, and respiratory tract infections can all contribute to bad breath.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can increase your risk for bad breath.
– Previous oral health care treatments and procedures such as dentures can easily become contaminated and contribute to bad breath.
– Gum disease also referred to as periodontal disease, is a known risk factor for bad breath.
– The foods you are eating, the drinks you are drinking, and the medications you are taking can all known risk factors for bad breath.
Visit Thompson Dental Care today for a bad breath treatment. We can be reached by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Steven Thompson and our team at our dentist office in Holley, New York by calling us at 585-638-5435.